viernes, 19 de abril de 2013

My first impressions


That morning I woke up before the alarm clock rang. I was so anxious about leaving that even if I had slept less than 6 hours that night, my body felt relaxed and rested. I took a shower, dressed up and went to the kitchen where my mother had prepared breakfast for me. I could see in her face that she was happy because she knew that it was what I really wanted, but so sad because she knew in her inside that these 6 months were going to be endless. Anyway, my father came home and gave me a ride to the airport. Thanks god there was no traffic jam and we could rapidly arrive to American Airlines terminal. Honestly, I had packed the night before and I wasn´t over weighted at all, I only packed the most necessary things. My passport checked, my luggage dispatched it was time to go. I could see my family from the line, my mom desperately crying and my father trying to avoid it.  It was heart breaking but I knew I had to do it; it was time for me to do something meaningful with my life.  Once I crossed security check I realized my journey had just started and I was super excited about it. Luckily, there were no turbulences during the flight and before I knew it I was already landing. Shockingly, they made us get out of the plane by a sort of stairs and then walk through the landing strip to get to the inside of the airport. The first thing I noticed was how hot it was, it was 8 pm and the temperature was suffocating. There was no wind at all, not like in my loved Chicago! When I entered the building, I perceived people everywhere! Finally, after having crossed the customs point I remembered I needed my suitcase. I tried to understand Brazilian signs, but I couldn´t. A guy, who was staring at me, easily discovered I was desperately looking for baggage claim. He fortunately talked a little bit of English and walked me there. I have to say, that I´m amazed for how nice and friendly Brazilians are. Afterwards, I got out of Manaus airport hoping someone could give me a ride to at least Tefé. Even if it wasn´t my final destination, it was less than 50 km away from the Enawene Nawe tribe camp. This sedentary tribe lives in the middle of the Amazonian rainforest totally isolated from the rest of the world. Let´s go back to the ride story. I sat in a bench and hoped someone would come to me and ask me if I needed something. As usual, this wasn´t happening so I took a step forward and started asking people if they were going in my direction. It only took me two minutes to be seated in a truck in my way to the Amazonian jungle. I have to admit that the idea of me trapped in a vehicle with someone I hadn´t seen even once in my life was pretty scary, but it was my only option so I had no other choice. After 7 hours trip I finally got there, I had arrived to my home for the next 6 months!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario